Indian food is known all across the world now and for the amazing food they offer is even enjoyed as a snack that is so appetizing and tasty. And when we talk of Indian food in Santa Clara the samosas are very famous and they are easy to cook too. We do get various kinds of samosa now in non veg filled variations too but I still find the original most tempting and they are easy to cook:
To make samosa you need:
For The Dough
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp melted butter
a pinch of carom seeds
salt to taste
For The filling:
● 3/4 cup boiled and peeled potato
● 1/3 cup boiled green peas
● 1 tbsp oil
● 1/4 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
● 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
● a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
● 1 1/2 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
● 1/2 tsp garam masala
● 1/4 tsp whole coriander (dhania) seeds
● salt to taste
● 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
● oil for deep-frying
For the dough:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and make a dough using enough water.rest the dough for 10 to 15 minutes.
For the filling:
1. Heat the oil in a pan , add the cumin seeds.
2. Now add the asafoetida and ginger-green & chilli paste and sauté on a medium to low flame for a minute
3. Add the potatoes and green peas, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 min. Mash the mix lightly
4. Add dry mango powder, the garam masala, coriander seeds and salt, mix it & cook on a low flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
5. Add the coriander, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
6. Divide the mix into 4 equal portions.
How to proceed:
1. Knead the dough well till smooth and divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
2. Roll out a portion of the dough into 6" x 3" oval pastry
3. Cut it horizontally into 2 equal portions using a knife.
4. Take a portion and join the edges to make a cone. Stuff the cone with a portion of the stuffing and apply little water on the edges to seal it.
6. Heat the oil in a pan and deep-fry the samosas on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
7. Serve hot with hot sauce.
There are many Indian restaurants in Santa Clara serving exotic samosas and you can eat them to your hearts content. Great Indian Cuisine is one such extraordinary restaurant. !